Arkein Capital Partners
In 2011, Arkein International identified a titanium bearing slag owned by Evraz Highveld Steel and Vanadium (www.highveldsteel.co.za), a subsidiary of Evraz Plc (www.evraz.com) located in South Africa and appointed Hatch (www.hatch.ca) to conduct feasibility studies aimed at developing a viable business model to extract the titanium and produce a coated rutile titanium pigment. Nyanza Light Metals (Pty) Ltd is company that was set up jointly by Arkein International (80%) and Evraz (20%) to develop the titanium pigment project.
- Project Country– Republic of South Africa.
- Current project stage – concluded scoping study (FEL1) and now at an advanced pre-feasibility stage (FEL2).
- Secured resource size of 10 million tons of an available 35 million tons.
- Life of project on secured resource of 40 years (> 100yrs on available resource).
- Production target at steady state of 50,000 tons per annum of titanium pigment.
- Long term titanium pigment price forecast of US$3,800 – 4,000 per ton (tzmi.com).
- Forecast Steady state revenue of US$ 300 million per annum.
- Total feasibility costs – US$ 9.5 million (2% of Project funding).
- Project total funding at financial close – US$400 million.
- Ungeared project internal rate of return (IRR) above 40%.
- Construction date – 1st Quarter 2016.
- Commissioning date – 1st quarter 2018.
“Arkein Capital is a dynamic place with interests across the continent. Managing the money in a fast moving, entrepreneurial and pan african business is not for the faint hearted. It keeps you on your toes and always up to date with legislation across different jurisdictions! I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”
– Ian Cameron, Chief Financial Officer @ Arkein Group
Through targeted investments and partnerships, Arkein aims to make a meaningful difference on the continent, thereby assisting in the stimulation of economic growth and value addition, ultimately leading to the improvement of the lives of its inhabitants.